"God, to whom our lives may be the spelling of an answer." -Abraham Joshua Heschel

Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Do I REALLY care?

Hello all. (If anybody actually reads this, I'll be surprised. But yeah, doesn't matter to me.) But anyways, today I have been thinking a lot about the recent tsunami disasters over in Asia- it's devastating. There have been so many people that have died, over 100,000! I don't know what to do, and I feel helpless, and rather saddened for this immense tragedy. If anything, I grieve for these people simply because they are people. They didn't deserve to die like this, there are so many of my fellow human beings that were violently killed in this disaster. If anything, I don't know what to do, except feel for these human lives. I guess we could talk about the magnitude of this tragedy, or the ensuing possible problems, but with all of the talk about it (or lack thereof here in America), how are we changed by it? How am I changed by it? How does it change the way I live my daily life, to know that people on the other side of the world are living in disease, hunger, disaster, and in the midst of thousands upon thousands of the dead and the dying. If anything, I feel like I ought to feel a connection with humanity, because that is what has taken a blow. I can't believe that we are NOT affected by this, because we are all a part of the human race, of people that have thoughts and emotions and ideals and dreams, and shouldn't we grieve and feel and hope to understand our fellow man in crisis? I don't know. . . .I'm probably saying a whole lot of nothing. . . .but yet, I feel like I just need to say anything, because we cannot just keep quiet. Who will be the voice of those 100,000+ people? Who will weep for them and mourn for them and carry on their legacy and their memory? They had significance. . . .maybe not to us. . . . .but maybe they SHOULD have more significance to us. Am I too focused on my own agenda to not care about other human lives that are in pain? Where do we go from here?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home