"God, to whom our lives may be the spelling of an answer." -Abraham Joshua Heschel

Saturday, March 05, 2005

The age old college question. . .

Okay, for those of you who are in the college stage of life, I am sure that you have all heard the famous and inevitable question: "So, what are you going to do with your life?" Or, "What are you going to do after you graduate?" To be honest, I have no frickin' clue. Tonight I talked with a good friend about the future, and we realized that it is looming closer than we would like to admit. It's kinda scary to think that I have to be in the "real world" someday and actually make a living. . . .but I guess the bigger question seems to be: "What is this life going to be about?" I run from the future, but yet I can't escape it, it is always coming down upon me. And also, I often forget to value the precious moment that I have been given in the here and now. I want to always value the people that I have around me, for the short time that I have them near me. I want to love deeply, and be changed because of it.
I don't want to wake up one morning when I'm 40 and realize that I have wasted my life and settled for some mediocre existence. . . . .I only have one life to live- why not do it for all it's worth? Here is one of the most profound monologues EVER in a movie, that I have taped up on my desk. It's from Dead Poets' Society:
"We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for. To quote from Whitman, 'O me! O life!. . . . .of the questions of these recurring; of the endless trains of the faithless--of cities filled with the foolish; what good amid these, O me, O life? Answer. That you are here- that life exists, and identity; that the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse.' That the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse. What will your verse be?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home