"God, to whom our lives may be the spelling of an answer." -Abraham Joshua Heschel

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

"God Laughs and Plays"

This quote from David James Duncan's book, God Laughs and Plays, seems to express my thoughts on the divine better than I ever could:

"God is Unlimited. Thought and language are limited. God is the fathomless
but beautiful Mystery Who creates the Universe and you and me, and sustains it
and us every instant, and always shall. The instant we define this fathomless
Mystery It is no longer fathomless. To define is to limit. The greater a
person's confidence in their definition of God, the more sure I feel that
their worship of 'Him' has become the worship of their own definition. I don't
point this out to insult the fundamentalists' or any one else's God. I point
it out to honor the fathomless Mystery."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home