"God, to whom our lives may be the spelling of an answer." -Abraham Joshua Heschel

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Longing for connection. . .

I sit on my porch, staring out at the city lights, pondering the idea that I live in the midst of thousands of other souls- yet I feel so utterly alone and lost.
I don't really care if anyone else ever reads this. . . .I usually assume that no one does. I just write on here to get the words out of my mind. Sometimes I wish someone would hear me (or read me, in this case), and resonate with my restless soul and respond.
Doesn't everyone in the world long for some kind of connection, to be heard and seen and understood? I don't even understand myself most of the time.
I'm not being the most articulate here, but I don't care.
No one ever wrote a rule book or prescribed any kind of possible ideas for life after college, or life in this ambiguous state of in between youth and adulthood. It seems to me that adulthood is already a pretty solitary experience, with poets and authors as my only companions at times. I read the great deceased poets, Neruda, Eliot, Whitman, hoping that they will give voice to that which is voiceless, yet restless, within me. Perhaps they might awaken my own writer's voice, as if my words, and their haphazard semblance thereof, might validate my meager existence.

I used to have some strange ideals about changing the world, or working for the good of society, but now that seems rather lost to me. It was so easy to discuss and dialogue about those ideas when I was in the setting of a classroom or college forum, where most people agreed or had considered similar concepts. But now, HOW DO I LIVE IT OUT? I have no fucking clue.

Is there anyone out there who reads this. . .and somewhat understands?

It's strange, in my lifetime, there have been so many new advances in communication technology: cell phones, internet, emails. But it only seems to make one's solitude more acute- to have those possibilities of connection, but they hold nothing.
Seeking connection with another human being seems futile at times. . . .

But these are just my thoughts, late at night, in the darkened city. . . .

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know how to respond to that, but I read it, and I would like to understand it because I hate that you feel alone. I feel alone a lot too.

9:25 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree - more to the point, I know exactly how you feel. Although, for me it manifests itself in more of a - I wish I could just play chess with a random person in the sculpture garden - have them finish my thought (and expose that it was, in fact, borrowed from Bavinck)and run away having found my soul mate.

Yet, that person, that 80's movie moment, doesn't seem to exist. Not in this life. Isn't it strange that we define the reality of life in terms that are, upon inspection, most surreal? -

I too was drawn to the city - Beautiful in its diversity - Yet, there is still something artificial in the way I seek to blend in. I have divorced myself from the suburbs but have not yet allowed myself to be truly defined by the city.

Anyway - frustration is the stuff of life - Peace is the stuff of God...

Struggle is the only way we move between the two - or so it seems.

5:30 PM

 
Blogger ibn_abdel_aziz said...

OK ...Let me give you a dose of reality , yet full of hope ..and dreams.

Only dreamers achieved something in this world , and only they have changed history at a certain point.

A dreamer , will start as an idealist , then becomes a realist ...in both cases he/she can not stop thinking to find a way to make Earth a better place.

Keep thinking , and expressing your self , like-minded people , who will translate their thoughts into work , will come your way ..and you will change ..things..together .

If you stop thinking , you die , when you think you live , and living people do things , while dead people can not do a thing.

Why do i say that ? why am i so confident ? because i did it before ..and it worked , and still working .

Your Coffee shop resident :)
you know who

10:27 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home