"God, to whom our lives may be the spelling of an answer." -Abraham Joshua Heschel

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

The Value of Work

For nearly two months now, I have been without employment. For the first week or so, I was given to certain existential crises, on account of my lack of activity and production. Then, I allowed myself to be free from the obligation of employment for a while (because I had enough money to keep me afloat also), and simply live life. I spent a lot of time reading and writing, and resting. I visited people, traveled a little, and spent some days in solitude in the woods. Now, of course, my funds have run out, and I am in need of employment. But not just any employment. Why does one even need a job? To pay the bills, yes. To occupy one's time, yes. But to fulfill one's purpose, of course not. If anything, I was most certainly being more purposeful and awakened to life's questions when I HAD all of that time to think and ponder.
One of the largest pitfalls of our society is our inability to SLOW DOWN. We are always operating at a breakneck speed, trying to fit in as many things as possible during each 24 hour stint. But what about rest? What about reflection? What about alone time? What about forgetting schedule and committment, and just throwing caution to the wind and going for a spontaneous bike ride through the city?
Today, I'm setting out to interview for two jobs: a group home company (just like my last job), and for Dunn Bros, a coffee shop that I adore. I am hoping that I will get these jobs, because I would enjoy them both so much, and I think that I would be good at both of them. I have waited quite a while, letting all those applications stew for a bit, even though it has been frustrating at times when NO ONE was calling back. Of course, I didn't want just ANY job to pay the bills, I wanted something that I would enjoy and be energized by and something that would make me excited. It's more than just a temp job to kill time before I run off to Americorps next January, it's something that I want to give my time to everyday and enjoy doing it in the process.
We all ought to question. . . .what is the nature of employment in our lives? I'm still not even sure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home