"God, to whom our lives may be the spelling of an answer." -Abraham Joshua Heschel

Friday, June 10, 2005

Purpose of Mindless Entertainment?

I have been thinking today, about the way the American public has become. (Lofty thoughts, I know.) I wonder, do we allow ourselves to simply be mindlessly entertained by the media? Does the media (music, movies, television, radio) really dare to stimulate the minds of the greater public, or have we simply succumbed to an endless din of noise? Do the avenues of media really ask deeper questions, or simply cause us to turn off our minds for a certain period of time- perhaps so that we can escape from whatever turmoil in which we are living.
I feel so cheap and shallow after I watch an hour of TV, or watch a comedy film or something. . . . .I think I just have this huge desire to be creative, to learn and understand, to reason and discern- rather than just being a passive observer of society, through the biased medium of our modern media. Do we just let the media influence us passively, or do we dare to seek out higher types of learning, even when it is not forced upon us? Even though college isn't in session now for the summer, I feel like my craving for learning is even more insatiable. I feel like now I want to read and write and seek out new ways of seeing the world. However, I know my human tendency is just to pop in a video and veg out, and turn off my brain. . . . .even though I know I have the possibility of this open and free time in the summer, when I can think and write and read more.
I honestly hate noise, and the need to be constantly in motion and busy. I hate it because I AM that exact type of person. I am constantly busy, because when I am keeping busy, I don't have to slow down and stop and listen to my own thoughts. It's easier to turn off your brain and your heart when you are constantly busy and surrounded with perpetual noise. However, I now know how EMPTY and pointless that kind of busy life can become. True community, real learning and understanding of oneself, and the ability to truly hear God- those things cannot exist or happen within the life of constant busyness. Perhaps someday I will learn not to give into the American tendency of busyness and stress, but for now, it still plagues me all the time. Alas, I was born a perfectionist and workaholic, and I am learning that what I truly need is silence, solitude and contemplation to truly understand myself, the world, and my place in it. . . . .
Those are my thoughts for tonight. . . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home