"God, to whom our lives may be the spelling of an answer." -Abraham Joshua Heschel

Thursday, June 16, 2005

Where IS God?

It's one of those days, with what I read in the news, and what I see in every day life, I wonder, where IS God? We go through this life, living and breathing and learning and interacting in human and literal ways, and yet we're supposed to be conscious of this "spiritual" realm that is so much bigger than us. . . .but I don't know about you, but I become rather distracted by the every day human life, that it's honestly difficult to understand and perceive the presence of God; especially a God who is "at work" in this world. I look at the news, and like Thoreau once wrote, what is it to read yet another news story about another murder, another theft, another death? They all become the same after a while, and how is it possible to maintain hope in the face of seeing all this tragedy, day after day? People say that God is at work in this world, but if I'm completely honest, sometimes I have trouble seeing where he is involved in this world. It's easy to believe in God in a protected Christian environment like a camp, retreat, missions trip, or even a Christian college, but when one is deep entrenched in the turmoil and everyday routine of society, somehow it takes a lot more faith to believe in the existence of a "good God." I honestly will not simply believe that God is good, and life will turn out okay, because I also HAVE to be realistic that there is pain, poverty and injustice in this world. How can I live in the tension of the reality of both- that there is a "good" God and YET there is pain in this world? Truly, there is no easy answer. . . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home